Our Instructional Approach
On average, we serve a higher population of Students with Disabilities (SWDs) than our comparison district schools, and that is because at Equality we work hard to support this special population well. Our SWD Program provides individualized supports for special education scholars inside of the mainstream classroom, along with a variety of additional remediation services.
Equality has an admissions lottery preference for SWDs.
*Each grade is made up of 20-30% special education students.
Program and Settings Provided:
Additional Support Services:
- Counseling provided by in-house social worker – includes individual and group counseling as well as social-emotional groups.
- At-risk counseling provided by social worker and/or guidance counselor.
- Case Manager Support System – pairs each SWD with a special education teacher, who acts as a case manager, to provide additional support and to monitor IEP progress.
- Rise, a small group reading intervention program – supports students who are below grade level in reading.
- Math remediation classes, as needed, through our Support and Enrichment Program.
- Speech Language Therapy through an on-site DOE provider.
- DOE Providers for other scholar needs such as vision, hearing, paraprofessional, and occupational therapy.
- Peer-to-Peer tutoring – pairs scholars who are experiencing subject specific difficulty with a peer tutor.